APNEWS.COM
Trump administration asks military base near Chicago for support on immigration operations
The Naval Station Great Lakes is pictured, Jan. 24, 2020, in Ill. (Joe Lewnard/Daily Herald via AP, File)2025-08-28T13:59:44Z Follow live updates on President Donald Trump and his administration CHICAGO (AP) The Trump administration asked a military base outside of Chicago for support on immigration operations this week, offering a clue of what an expanded law enforcement crackdown might look like in the nations third-largest city. The Department of Homeland Security asked Naval Station Great Lakes for limited support in the form of facilities, infrastructure, and other logistical needs to support DHS operations, Matt Mogle, spokesperson for the base 35 miles (56 kilometers) north of Chicago, said Wednesday.The request came weeks after the Republican administration deployed National Guard troops to Washington, D.C., to target crime, immigration and homelessness, and two months after it sent troops to Los Angeles. Although details of the administrations plans for Chicago are scarce, city leaders said Thursday that they are preparing for multiple possible scenarios, from troops assisting in immigration arrests to patrolling in the streets. President Donald Trump speaks during a cabinet meeting at the White House, Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein) President Donald Trump speaks during a cabinet meeting at the White House, Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein) Share Share Facebook Copy Link copied Print Email X LinkedIn Bluesky Flipboard Pinterest Reddit Read More We dont want to raise any fears, Police Superintendent Larry Snelling told reporters. We dont want to create any speculation around whats going on. Chicago leaders want more communicationCity leaders said Thursday that the White House hadnt contacted them about its plans, and a spokesman for the Illinois National Guard said the base hadnt received requests regarding a Chicago mobilization. Mogle, the base spokesman, said no decisions had been made on the request, and that the base hadnt received an official request to support a National Guard deployment. The Chicago Sun-Times first reported on the request to the Navy base.DHS did not confirm whether it had asked to use the base. But it said in a statement Thursday that it was working to make our streets and cities safe again.Mayor Brandon Johnson and Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker have pushed back against a possible mobilization, saying crime has fallen in Chicago and that the city doesnt want or need the militarys help. They are planning to sue. City leaders said workers were circulating know-your-rights cards in neighborhoods with heavy immigrant populations, which offer tips on what to do in case of an encounter with an immigration agent. Other workers were checking in on Chicagos homeless encampments and providing information about shelters since Trump has pushed to move homeless people far from Washington.Snelling asked for more communication on plans involving law enforcement.To make sure that were not stoking fears through neighborhoods and we dont have people running scared and it doesnt create chaos on our streets, were willing to have those conversations, Snelling said.Many Chicagoans are on edge about the rumored deployment. Former President Barack Obama, who is from Chicago, weighed in Thursday, posting on X: The erosion of basic principles like due process and the expanding use of our military on domestic soil puts the liberties of all Americans at risk, and should concern Democrats and Republicans alike. The politics of a deploymentPritzker, a potential 2028 Democratic presidential contender, has spent days showcasing parts of the city where crime has fallen and said there is no emergency in Chicago requiring military intervention. He told The Associated Press that the presence of troops could worsen the situation.What hes trying to do is try to inflame something that will cause a problem that he can then point at, the two-term governor said, referring to President Donald Trump. Trump has often singled out Chicago, likening it to a war zone and hellhole. Chicagos long-held status as a so-called sanctuary city has irked the Trump administration, which used Chicago to kick off a nationwide crackdown on immigration weeks after Trumps second inauguration. Pritzker and Trump, who has zeroed-in on Democrat-led cities, have traded barbs over the issue for days.The people are desperate for me to STOP THE CRIME, something the Democrats arent capable of doing, Trump posted Thursday on his Truth Social network. In recent days, the administration has been pointing out recent shootings in the city, including at Thursdays White House press briefing when press secretary Karoline Leavitt listed crime statistics. This is JB Pritzkers legacy, by the way, she said. Crime in ChicagoViolent crime has dropped significantly in Chicago in recent years, but it remains a persistent problem in parts of the city.Chicago had a homicide rate of 21.7 per 100,000 residents in 2024, according to analysis of federal data by the Rochester Institute of Technology. Seven other major U.S. cities -- St. Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Indianapolis and Richmond, Virginia -- had higher rates than Chicago.Still, Chicago reported 573 homicides in 2024, the most of any U.S. city that year. At the same time, violent crime dropped significantly in the first half of this year, representing the steepest decline in over a decade, according to city data. In the first six months of 2025, total violent crime dropped by more than 22% compared with the first half of 2024. In Illinois there are roughly 10,000 members of the Illinois Army National Guard and 3,000 Air National Guard. They routinely mobilize at armories around the state, including nearly a dozen in Chicago and its suburbs. But they are state-owed property and if the federal government mobilizes the Guard without the governors blessing, the armories arent available for use.___This story was updated to correct that the Navy base issued its statement Wednesday, not Thursday. ___Associated Press writers Christine Fernando in Chicago and Chris Megerian and Rebecca Santana, both in Washington, contributed to this story. OConnor reported from Springfield, Illinois.
0 Reacties
0 aandelen
3 Views
0 voorbeeld